Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Adventures in Potty Training

Warning: One might get grossed out from the picture in this blog. If you think you might, do not read any further!

We started "potty training" about a week ago. I say that in quotes because I haven't actually started hard core potty training. For about a month or so, Brylee has been saying "I poop" either before she is about to do it or after she has done it. Which the latter is more often the case. Since she's been doing that, I thought she might be ready. Plus I want to get her familiar with it. We don't have a potty chair right now so I decided to borrow Ben's old school one from when he and his siblings were little. This is actually the seat I am wanting to get. ::Potty Seat:: Ben isn't too keen (and I'm really not either) on paying 50+ bucks for a potty seat but it's the only one I can find with a tray. I can just put snacks or little toys there to occupy Brylee while she tries to "poo poo" or "pee pee" and I can leave the room if I need to without her getting up and running around naked tail! My mom used one with a tray when we were little and oh how I wish we still had it! I can still remember the picture of me sitting in it, fast asleep, with a Burger King crown on my head!

Anyways, about the third day, I put Brylee on the potty first thing that morning. That's when she tends to do "her business." Well by golly as soon as she sat down:


Why yes, I took a picture of my girls' ginormous turd! Just call me Kate Gosselin! Hey, I've got to have something to turn the boys off of her some day! She chose to do it the one day Ben took off work too! We were so excited.....and a little grossed out! Mommy, of course, had to clean out the potty bowl, and I really came close to gagging. Not sure why because I've changed hundreds of diapers. I thought, "Why is this using the potty stuff so exciting because it's no better than changing a diaper!" It made me second guess on that potty chair real quick and maybe consider getting a seat to put on top of the toilet so I don't have to worry about that mess! That same day I was good about putting her on the potty quite frequently. ::and the discouragement begins:: One of the times Ben took her. As soon as I entered the room, she wanted to get off. I fought her for a second to stay on there until Daddy says, "Aw Mommy, she doesn't have to go! Let her get off!" So I did, and started a bath for her. Not even 10 seconds later, she wets all over the bathroom floor! Because of my hubby's comment right before that, I let him clean it all up!!

She hasn't done anything since. We have spent lots of time on the potty and we get nothing! Until we get off and 20 minutes later it's in her diaper! I guess that's partly my fault because I haven't been consistent in taking her. I need to read up or ask other mommies because I have no clue how often to take her, how long to keep her on there, etc. I do know that Mommies deserve a crown though because this is way harder than I ever thought!

2 comments:

  1. I've heard and read that you shouldn't force it before two, but consistency is key, you're right. My sister-in-law took her, at the time, 2-year-old potty trainee to the toilet every 20 minutes! It seemed to work really good for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Reba! You are so ready to be a mom!!

    ReplyDelete